Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ambitious Beauty Cuties: Melissa Osburn


To kick off my blog, I thought I’d start with someone who has already been successful with hers. Melissa Osburn, 28, is a slot machine artist and part-time culinary student in Las Vegas, N.V. She started The Daily Nail, a personal project that has her doing one new nail design a day for a year (so ambitious, I love it). She has so many innovative designs, and her dedication is truly admirable. Check out her blog for amazing nail design ideas (color-changing, anyone?) or simply a new color or brand. If you're like me, nail polish is a necessity (my toes are always painted, even in the dead of winter). Naturally, I immediately loved her blog. Here, I asked Osburn to share a little more about The Daily Nail.

1. What made you start this project?

I decided to start the project when I realized that I accumulated around 70 nail polishes in a matter of a month and a half and really felt the need to justify the purchases. I made the first post detailing the idea of the blog on September 30, 2009, but didn't post the first nails until October 14. The year will end on October 13, 2010, but the project won't—I plan to keep posting new nail art on a very regular basis still!

2. How many bottles of polish do you have? What are your favorite brands?

I'd estimate that I have around 400 bottles now, based on my last count a couple of weeks ago. About 95% of these bottles have been purchased since August 14, 2009! (I have an addiction I think)!

I love Zoya, China Glaze, Essie, CND and OPI most, but I'm loving ORLY's new polish collections recently, too!!

3. What's your favorite thing about nail polish?

Nail polish doesn't have a size. It doesn't make you feel fat, or thin, or go out of style. Nail polish is ALWAYS there to brighten your day and make you feel pretty, and it's a pretty inexpensive accessory!!

4. Where do you get inspiration for your nail designs?

Everywhere. I get ideas from outside, inside, my job, my hobbies, TV, radio, art, etc. People send me ideas from time to time, too, and when I use them, I always credit the person who came up with it!

5. How long does it usually take you to do your nails?

It depends on how complicated the design is. Some designs take minutes, while others take hours. The longest ones took about an hour and a half or so. Those were the Rubber Ducky nails (all the tiles!!). One of my favorite designs took only a few minutes though—the Crimi-Nails.

Rubber ducky nails


Crimi-nails

6. What kind of tips do you have for people who want to do cute nail designs on themselves?

Be patient, practice, and don't drink anything with caffeine beforehand!

7. What do you hope to take away from this project?

Most of all, a sense of accomplishment. I have a tendency of starting projects but never finishing them, so I'm really looking forward to achieving that goal.


You can e-mail Melissa comments or nail ideas at thedailynail@gmail.com.

If you want to suggest any blogs or people for me to spotlight, e-mail me at beautyisblissblog@gmail.com.

Enjoy looking and feeling blissfully beautiful.

-MaryAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment